Today’s best backpacks for techies have more than just a laptop sleeve. Often, they have compartments for more than one device. Whether you are carrying a laptop, tablet, camera, binoculars, drone, or gaming device, these backpacks have compartments to help you carry up to three of these devices together in a safe and organized manner.
For more backpacks read our best travel backpack review. In this article, I’ll compile a list of the top tech-oriented backpacks that stand out for performance, features, and design.
Whether you are a gamer, a student, an IT professional, or indeed someone who carries a computing device for work or another reason, there should be an option to suit your needs. Without further ado, let’s check out my list of the best backpacks for techies!
Top 3 Picks
- Brand: OGIO
- Color: Black
- Weight: 1.69 Kilograms
- Manufacturer: WANDRD
- ASIN: B095JN689Y
- Weight: 2.42 pounds
- Manufacturer: KROSER
- Product Dimensions: 18.6 x 13.5 x 10.8 inches
- Weight: 1.76 pounds
Top 18 Backpacks for Techies
Here are the 18 best backpacks for techies that I would recommend in 2023.
18 Best Backpacks for Techies
1. Best overall: OGIO Renegade RSS Backpack
OGIO Renegade RSS Backpack
Padded iPad (TM)/tablet/e-reader pocket Crush proof Tech Vault pocket with soft tricot liner HUB (Hybrid Unibody Backpanel) for ultimate comfort. Padded mouse/digital camera pocketCheck Price
It is hard to beat the Renegade RSS if you want pockets, cavernous space, and tech protection all in one backpack. You won’t find a more comfortable and highly organized bag like the OGIO RSS if you’re into tech, gaming, or simply need a lot of equipment for work.
As far as organization is concerned, this bag has a lot to offer. There are no fewer than eight external pockets on this 30L bag, allowing you to organize your gear, from your expensive laptop to your earphones.
Most importantly, it offers maximum protection for your expensive tech gadgets. The RSS prevents your laptop from hitting hard surfaces even if you knock it or drop it roughly.
The case includes a protected and dedicated 15-inch laptop compartment, a padded pocket for a tablet or e-reader, a cozy mouse/camera pocket, and a crush-proof vault for sunglasses.
- It also features a luggage handle pass-through, ergonomic shoulder straps with a sternum strap, and a cushioned back panel for ultimate comfort
- The very limited four-color options of this bag aren’t for those looking for style or fancy colors
2. Best for Minimalist: AER DAY PACK 2
AER DAY PACK 2
exterior water bottle pocket, Sternum strap for comfort and stability & Duraflex® hardwareCheck Price
With storage for your everyday tech essentials, this bag is both stylish and sophisticated. For tech lovers who want the best protection and organization, but in a sleek and minimal design, the AER Day Pack 2 is for you.
As a start, Pack 2 includes a well-padded 16-inch laptop compartment, complete with a false bottom to protect your tech from accidental drops. If your laptop gets scratched, it isn’t from carrying it in the bag since the inside is lined with a soft fleece-like fabric.
The organization is also well-thought-out. In addition to the top pocket for sunglasses/phones, there are organizational pockets for your mouse, cables, headphones, flash drives, stationery, etc.
Made of 1680D Cordura ballistic nylon with a water-repellent coating, YKK zippers, and Duraflex hardware, this is one of the toughest backpacks you’ll find.
- The harness system includes padded straps, a breathable back panel, and a nice sternum strap
- In addition, it comes with a self-standing design, a luggage pass-through, as well as a lifetime warranty
- Due to its compact size, it is not suitable for techies needing to carry bulkier items or large loads
3. Best Expandable: Nomatic Travel Backpack
NOMATIC 30L Travel Bag- Duffel/Backpack,
Life on the Move 20+ INNOVATIVE FEATURES & TSA READY.Check Price
The Nomatic Travel Pack offers versatile ways to store your tech essentials, whether you are carrying them on a daily basis or traveling. There may be no better backpack for techies who love their gadgets than the Nomatic Travel Pack.
Its dedicated laptop and tablet compartment fits a 15″ laptop and a 13″ tablet comfortably. There are two things that I love about these compartments: first, they open up in a clamshell style with Velcro straps so you can keep your devices safe during airport security.
Also, it’s suspended a few inches from the edge of the bag to prevent accidental falls. Twenty secure spots are available for all the precious items you do not want to leave behind.
- The Nomatic Travel Pack has some amazing features. If you need more space for travel, the bag can be expanded from a 20-30L bag
- The pack also features magnetic water bottle pockets, a luggage sleeve, a water-resistant exterior, and a lifetime warranty
- In a backpack with 20 pockets, it can be difficult to locate specific items on time
4. For Photographers: Wandrd PRVKE Camera Bag
WANDRD PRVKE Lite Photography Bag
CUSTOMIZED CAMERA PROTECTION 3 POINTS OF ACCESS & TRAVEL READYCheck Price
A great camera backpack that is expandable, water-resistant, and very functional. With the PRVKE (pronounced ‘Provoke’), you get a cleverly designed backpack that doubles as a tote bag while protecting your delicate camera gear.
The core layout includes a removable camera cube large enough to house a variety of cameras and lenses. The bag also has compartments for a 15-inch laptop and tablet with chargers, a pocket for your phone, and room for other accessories. How about the best part?
An expandable roll-top cover adds 5 liters of space if necessary to the Wandrd Prvke. Wandrd Prvke is built to a very high standard. You can trust it to withstand all types of weather and abuse since it has a water-resistant exterior and zippers.
- This bag has magnetic tote handles, waist and sternum straps, padded shoulder straps, and foam back panels.
- It comes in two sizes (21L and 31L) and three colors (black, green, and blue). Perfect for photographers, videographers, and anyone who needs a bag for daily use and travel
- Its only drawback is its weight – at 3.4 lb (31L), you may have to consider other gear choices carefully, especially if you intend to fly carry-on only
5. Best for Gamers: Asus ROG XRANGER Backpack
Razer Rogue v2 17.3″ Gaming Laptop Backpack
The Water & Damage Resistant Exterior Store Laptops & Accompanying Peripherials & Comfortable Padded Straps & Breathable Back.Check Price
The gamer needs lots of storage for gaming equipment and accessories. There are millions of pockets in the ROG Xranger, which makes it ideal for storing gaming equipment and accessories.
The bag comes with a well-padded sleeve for a 17″ laptop, which is suspended to prevent it from hitting the ground when set down. You also get special compartments for your gaming mouse, keyboard, camera, headset, cables, portable hard drive, iPad, and other accessories.
However, there is more to come. There are also two water bottle pockets, and a hidden back pocket, and the straps feature a 6-inch phone pocket and a detachable keychain.
Even better, it is made of water-repellent 1680D ballistic nylon and features a tough outer shell that will prevent your gear from being damaged even when it is dropped or banged.
- The best thing about this pack is how easy it is to carry, even when fully loaded
- You can distribute the weight of your gaming devices with padded straps, mesh back panels, and sternum with waist straps
- It’s a well-designed gaming backpack, but it’s much larger than a daypack when fully loaded
6. Best for Drones: LowePro DroneGuard BP 250
Lowepro LP37099 DroneGuard BP 250
Flexible dividers securely house the DJI Mavic Pro. Targeted lightweight protection Cradle Fit pocket suspendsCheck Price
The LowePro DroneGuard BP 250 provides ultimate protection with a hard-shell casing that is padded. With the Lowepro DroneGuard BP 250 backpack, you can transport your drone and other essentials with confidence.
It was designed to carry portable drones like the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, but it has also been found to be capable of carrying other lightweight models such as the Autel Evo. You’re in for a great time if you love organization.
The main compartment contains three separate compartments, in which you can store your drone, batteries, charger cables, and several accessories, all of which can be organized with soft dividers and elastic straps.
The bag features a padded compartment at the back for a 15″ laptop and 10″ tablet. There is also a front organizer pocket with an elastic key chain for your chargers, and other small items, as well as a smaller pocket on one of the shoulder straps for your phone.
- It’s extra durable and well-built, the compression-molded FormShell material used in the front gives it the right protection to withstand bumps, falls, etc
- Additionally, the back panel is moisture-wicking, and the sternum and waist straps provide comfort even after extended wear
- It does not stand upright very well and is only available in one color and style
7. For Her: Away The Backpack
Studio Ghibli Spirited Away Soot Sprites Mini Backpack
Polyurethane, Polyurethane lining, Zipper closure & Interior Drop PocketCheck Price
The Away Backpack offers both style and functionality with its neatly compartmentalized interior and clean-cut design. Who says that a tech backpack has to be boring?
The backpack by Away features compartments to secure all your technology – from your laptop to your gadgets – securely. You will appreciate the separate laptop compartment which is able to accommodate a 15-inch laptop.
There are two additional compartments with interior pockets if you require additional space. It features 25.5 liters of space and weighs just 1.3 pounds, making it an ideal bag for travel, commuting, work, and exploration. This backpack is made of water-repellent nylon so you can carry your items dry in wet weather.
- The pack also has an expandable water bottle pocket, a luggage pass-through sleeve to attach your bag to a suitcase, and comfortable padded straps
- Because of its lack of structure, it looks saggy when not stuffed full
8. For Him: The Ridge Commuter Backpack
The Ridge Minimalist Slim Wallet For Men with Cash Strap
THE PERFECT COMBINATION, WEATHER RESISTANT & EXTRA ACCESSORIESCheck Price
Built for adventures and everyday activities, the Ridge is a waterproof, smart, and tech-friendly backpack. If you are an artist, a freelancer, an adventurer, or just a gadget enthusiast, the Ridge will keep all your devices organized and safe wherever your journey takes you.
With three compartments and multiple pockets, it has room for all your belongings, including a shock-resistant laptop compartment and a power bank pocket for charging your devices.
- It’s made from waterproof 600D nylon and YKK Aquaguard zippers, so you can be sure that all your gear will stay dry, no matter what
- Ridge packs come with a water bottle holder and a smart strap to secure your luggage
- There is not much padding on the back panel, making it less comfortable to wear for long periods of time
9. Best for Commuters: In case Icon Backpack
Incase ICON Lite Backpack with Laptop
SPACIOUS, ORGANIC STORAGE, COMFORTABLE, CUSTOMIZED DESIGN & LAPTOP PROTECTION.Check Price
With the best protection and optimal organization for all your tech and daily essentials, this modern carry will not disappoint. It is not uncommon for technology to be expensive. The Incase Icon does a good job of protecting your devices from the elements.
I particularly appreciate how well this bag protects your expensive device from scratches and bumps. This bag has a fully padded compartment for a 15-inch laptop, a separate tablet pocket, and a top pocket for your phone/sunglasses, all lined with faux fur.
Do you require additional space? Despite its compact size and streamlined design, this 17-liter bag can contain a great deal of your daily gear.
- The Incase Icon is comfortable, has a water-resistant exterior, and has a port for charging on the go
- The color options are limited, and there is no single water bottle pocket on the side
10. Best for Travel: Kroser Travel Laptop Backpack
KROSER Travel Laptop Backpack 17.3 Inch XL Heavy Duty Computer Backpack
DURABLE MATERIAL, MULTI-FUNCTIONAL COMPARTMENT & USB PORT DESIGNCheck Price
When you tend to overpack or travel with your technology occasionally, the Kroser Travel Laptop backpack is an excellent choice. This spacious bag consists of four separate compartments—a larger compartment for bulkier items, a padded compartment for a 17.3″ laptop, an iPad pocket, and an organizer with various slots for smaller items.
It also features many external pockets for easy access, including a storage pocket for sunglasses, two elasticized pockets for water bottles, and a security pocket at the back.
- Water-resistant and durable, its eco-friendly poly fabric ensures that the bag can withstand wear and tear
- A luggage sleeve, sunglass strap, USB port, and air-flow back padding are also included
- If you are short or have a small frame, it may be too large for you
11. Best Solar Powered: Solgaard Lifepack Backpack
Kingsons Men Bag Upgraded Solar Powered Backpack
made with high-quality nylon and polyester, which are environmentally friendly, durable, wear-resistant, and have good breathability. Soft for the back. Worry freely to get sweat.Check Price
The Solgaard Lifepack is a solar-powered bag designed to protect your tech from thieves or drops. If you’re looking for a backpack that’s both solar-powered, eco-friendly, and tech-friendly, the Lifepack is an excellent choice.
The organization is top-notch: there are two main compartments with four hidden pockets as well as a drop-proof laptop compartment. Among its many features are a Bluetooth speaker, a solar panel, a charger, and an anti-theft system.
- This product is 100% recyclable and pulls 5 lbs of plastic waste from the oceans!
- This backpack is too small to be a long-term travel backpack (it holds only 18 liters) and weighs 4 pounds
12. Best Budget: Mancro Laptop Backpack
Mancro Laptop Backpack
Perfect Size & Storage Space, USB Port Design, Safety & Anti-Theft Lock.Check Price
An affordable package with security, enough space, and style options. A highly rated backpack on Amazon, the Mancro backpack is not only affordable, but you can also choose between a 14.4-inch and a 17.3-inch option based on your preference.
With a 40L bag, you have ample room and organization to carry all your technology and daily items. This bag features a padded sleeve for a 15.6-inch laptop and pockets for a phone, iPad, headphones, charger, paper, clothes, water bottles/umbrella, etc.
There are also several anti-theft features, such as a hidden back pocket and a lockable zipper with a three-digit code, so you do not have to worry about being a target for thieves.
- In addition to a water-resistant backpack, you also get a trolley sleeve and two “S” curve padded shoulder straps for comfort
- It does not have hip or chest straps to help lighten the load
13. Best for students: The North Face Recon Backpack
The North Face Women’s Recon
RECON CLASSIC, FLEX VENT TECHNOLOGY & TOTAL ORGANIZATION.Check Price
An ideal backpack for students with a lot of technology to carry. In the ever-practical North Face Recon backpack, you will be able to store your laptop as well as any other gear you may need for class, outdoor excursions, or short trips.
This bag is most notable for its padded and highly-protective laptop compartment that can accommodate a 15-inch laptop or MacBook. Moreover, there is an extra padded tablet sleeve as well as fleece-lined pockets for sunglasses or electronic devices, which are extremely convenient for both travel and school.
The bag has a capacity of 30 liters and offers three separate compartments and several pockets where you can easily store gadgets, books, water bottles, and a change of clothes, as well as extra room.
- I like that it’s water-resistant to protect your gear while remaining lightweight at 2 lbs
- With its FlexVent suspension system, padded back panel, sternum strap, and removable waist belt, it is very comfortable to carry
- When you load or unload it, the bottom is slanted, so it falls over or slides down constantly
14. Best Smart Backpack with a USB Charging Port: Matein Laptop Backpack
Laptop Backpack with USB Charging Port
Backpack with charger, ORGANIZER & SPACIER & COMFY & STRONGCheck Price
The smart charging backpack allows you to keep your gadgets powered up while on the go. The Matein Laptop backpack protects and charges any smartphone, tablet, or laptop. There is a padded tech compartment that holds a 15-inch laptop and a tablet, with multiple compartments and pockets for tidiness.
What is the most enjoyable aspect? It features a USB charging port that allows you to charge your device while on the go. This highly rated and very inexpensive 34L bag is very spacious.
- Matein backpacks are very affordable and are made with water-resistant polyester fabric
- There is also a hidden back pocket, a luggage sleeve, and a comfortable harness system
- It does not have a chest strap, and the quality of the bag has some users wondering how long it will last
15. Best for Rain: OUTJOY 17-inch Waterproof Laptop Backpack
Backpack for Men and Women Fit 17 Inches
USB PORT DESIGN & ERGONOMICAL BACK CONSTRUCTIONCheck Price
It is a shockproof laptop backpack designed to keep all your belongings dry and safe no matter what the weather. It is ideal for college and travel, keeping all your tech and everyday gear safe from damage and the elements.
The bag features three compartments and a number of different pockets to help you keep your items organized. It even has a keychain and earphone outlet. My favorite part of the Outjoy laptop backpack is its padded and shockproof laptop compartment that protects your laptop from bumps falls, or scratches.
The Outjoy laptop backpack has other special features as well. It is made of a water-repellent DWR outer fabric and has a waterproof rain cover for extra protection from precipitation. If both layers are combined, even pouring rain will not be able to damage your valuables.
Other cool features include a USB port with a built-in charging cable (power bank not included, however) and a luggage strap that can be attached to your suitcase.
- It has padded straps with breathable back panels that allow air to flow so you don’t overheat
- The buckles on some straps are weak, especially when loaded out
16. Best for versatility: Lo & Sons The Hanover Deluxe 2
Carhartt Legacy Deluxe Work Backpack
Textile, Imported & Backpack with dedicatedCheck Price
The sleek and versatile backpack can be used for gaming, traveling, or everyday use. When it comes to functionality, the Hanover Deluxe 2 is unsurpassed. With a backpack, you can store groceries, and gym equipment, and even use it as an overnight bag when traveling.
It is one of the best backpacks for techies, as it performs any role that involves safely transporting your tech, whether you need it as a daypack, a gaming backpack, or a traveling companion. The back contains a padded compartment that is ideal for keeping your 15″ laptop and tablet.
Aside from the three compartments and useful organizer pockets in the pack, your gear will be kept organized for easy access in three compartments. There is a 3D pocket on the front of the backpack that is deep enough to accommodate smaller tech items such as a charger, mouse, etc.
- The backpack has a recycled polyester exterior that is water-resistant, adjustable shoulder straps with memory foam, and a luggage trolley strap that makes airport travel easier
- There are not many color options
17. For the born organizer: eBags Pro Slim Laptop Backpack
eBags Pro Slim Laptop Backpack
KEY FEATURES, TRAVEL BENEFITS & ORGANIZATIONCheck Price
A great way to organize and protect all of your technology. The eBay Pro Slim Laptop backpack is easily among the best backpacks for techies, as it has compartments and pockets for everything you might need.
You will find a spacious main compartment, a tablet pocket, a hidden water bottle pocket, an organizer panel with eight pockets, and metal key clips for smaller items.
In addition to the padded and protected 17″ laptop sleeve, you will also appreciate the crush-proof pocket at the bottom where you can store your delicate accessories. Interestingly is the fact that the bag remains slim even when fully loaded, despite its spacious 22L capacity.
- The bag is very comfortable and has a padded back panel and a removable sternum strap that can be tucked away
- There is also a luggage sleeve, and brightly colored interior linings that make it easy to locate items without strain
- The water bottle pocket can hold a small bottle, but not a tall, heavy, or even an umbrella
18. Best Antitheft backpack: BOPAI Leather Backpack
BOPAI Anti-Theft Business Backpack
Invisible Anti Theft Design, Convenient Struction & USB Charging Port DesignCheck Price
Protect your laptop and tablet with a suspended and soft-lined sleeve. Looking for a bag that will protect your laptops, iPads, and tablets from pickpockets? You won’t have to worry about someone stealing your valuables when you use the BOPAI backpack.
It has a hidden, well-padded anti-theft pocket at the back that fits a 15.6″ laptop and can only be accessed when you take it off your back. There is also a hidden pocket at the back, an invisible water bottle pocket, and a hidden card pocket in the shoulder strap for added security.
- This water-resistant backpack is strong enough to withstand knife stabs, and has a USB port, a luggage strap, and a breathable back
- The 22L is quite small on the inside, so it’s not your best bet if you’re looking for space
Whether you’re a busy professional or a world traveler, everyone needs a way to carry their tech. You can do that in style and comfort with the perfect backpack of your choice from my collection of the best backpacks for techies.
This list contains bags that are both functional and practical, with smart features to protect your tech and make your life easier. Many of them come with features like organizational pockets, padded laptop sleeves, charging capabilities, trolley sleeves, or expansion options.
Here is a review of backpacks that will meet your technology needs and be comfortable and practical at the same time. I am, however, open to hearing your recommendations, questions, and/or experiences with these bags or any other bags.
Leave a Reply