Tired of carrying around all your kids’ belongings while traveling? Traveling with kids can be a hassle and the only way to make your journey easier is to equip your kids with their own backpacks so that they stop bugging you for snacks or other belongings during the entire journey. We have listed the top 10 best travel backpacks for kids.
Top 10 Travel Backpacks For Kids
Getting a travel backpack for your kids will not only ease the burden on your shoulders (literally) but it will also help your kids become much more responsible! I’ve personally experienced this with my young ones. They started losing less stuff once I made them travel with their own backpacks!
Recommended For You: Best Backpacks for High and Middle School Girls
It can be hard to find a perfect travel backpack for your kids, which is why we’re here to help you. We’re here with a list of the top 10 best travel backpacks for kids to ease your journey!
1. Skip Hop Kids Luggage with Wheels
When it comes to your kids, finding the best toddler backpack can be pretty hard. Toddler travel bags need to be lightweight, interesting enough for the toddlers to like them, but also spacious enough to carry their important belongings.
This is a children’s travel bag that is pretty spacious and large. It’s based on a dog theme, which greatly attracts kids and toddlers. The backpack has a handle so that it can be pulled by your toddlers like a trolley.
However, before getting a children’s travel bag for your kid, you need to make sure you’ve thought your decision through because wheel bags can only be carried by your kid on even surfaces and they’re useless if you’re going to travel on sandy beaches or other such places where the surfaces are soft and uneven.
If you’ve answered all the above questions and this bag still satisfies you, then you should definitely consider getting this travel backpack for your kid!
- Contains a separate and easily accessible water bottle compartment where you can keep your kid’s hydration pack or bottle
- Contains an outer compartment that can store more often used belongings
- Has a 13-inch trolley handle that is retractable
- Perfect for kids who love animals, especially dogs
- Interesting and colorful
- Separate chest strap so that the parents can carry it when required too
- Can be dragged with the help of its wheels
- It is large enough to carry all the important belongings of your kids. Measures 12 inches by 5.5 inches by 16 inches!
- Skip Hop is one of the top travel backpack brands for kids
- Cannot be worn by kids on their backs, so not suitable as a kids’ hiking pack
- The bag will be difficult to mobilize if its wheel breaks
- Not suitable to carry if the place you’re going to has a lot of uneven ground
2. YISIBO Dinosaur Backpack for Kids and Toddler
Backpacking with kids or backpacking with toddlers is no easy task! To keep them busy, it’s best to get them the best kids luggage that will last a lifetime and help them carry their belongings.
The Yisibo travel backpack is not only a great travel backpack for kids, but it’s also a great kids’ hiking pack. It’s great for carrying school supplies and can be worn as a preschool backpack for kids.
Whenever you’re searching for the best preschool backpack for kids, always be sure to ask them for their opinion before purchasing it, otherwise, they will throw tantrums that they don’t like the bag. I’ve experienced it myself, so make sure you ask your kids before buying this backpack!
The backpack is made of waterproof material, so it can come in handy when hiking with toddlers. Washing the backpack will be pretty easy in case it gets covered with mud or any other substance. All you have to do is put some soap liquid on it, brush it, wash away the soap and dry it using a towel.
The backpack has a separate compartment for water bottles on each side of the bag so that your kids can easily reach their water bottles when required during a hiking trip or even during sports trials.
- Your kids can easily carry this backpack on their backs
- Straps are adjustable
- Straps are soft and comfortable, so they won’t put too much pressure on your kids’ shoulders
- Made of a waterproof environmental neoprene material
- 2 small compartments on the outside, on each side of the backpack, it can be used to carry your kid’s hydration pack.
- One small compartment inside the main compartment of the backpack
- The straps are padded
- Cannot be pushed or pulled because it has no wheels
- The size of the bag is relatively smaller than the other bags here so your kids will only be able to store their basic belongings in the bag. (it measures 12.8 inches by 7.5 inches by 8.9 inches)
3. Canvas Travel School Backpack
This can be used as a backpack for moms with toddlers. When you’re looking for the best toddler backpack carrier, you need to make sure that you get something that will look good on your back too!
Coming to its features, this children’s travel bag contains three easily accessible compartments on the outside, two of which can store water bottles. Having a separate water bottle compartment comes in handy because it makes the water bottle easily accessible and prevents leaks from damaging your valuable items inside!
When searching for the best purses for moms with toddlers, you need to make sure that the bags or purses contain padded straps, as the padded straps can reduce the pressure that you feel on your shoulders and it can make carrying the backpack much easier!
Backpacking with toddlers is not an easy task, but such a backpack with multiple compartments makes it much easier for you to store and organize your toddler’s valuables and clothing.
This backpack can also be used as a kids’ hiking pack owing to its spacious, organized and compact storage.
Another advantage related to this bag is that it’s not only suitable for use by kids, but it can also be used by teens. In fact, you can easily and comfortably fit your laptop too inside this travel backpack!
- Contains an easily accessible compartment on the front side
- Contains two specialized side compartments for carrying a water bottle
- Extremely spacious bag is useful for storing a large amount of stuff. It measures 15.5 inches by 11.5 inches by 6.3 inches
- Padded back helps you become more comfortable with the bag
- Padded shoulder straps
- Shoulder straps are adjustable in length
- Can be used by ladies as well as little girls
- Feminine design suitable for use by women only
- The bag may get heavy owing to its large size as your kid may be unable to carry it
4. Buckle Toy Buddy Backpack
This is more than just a travel backpack for kids – it can also double as a toy station for them! The buckles at the side of this backpack can be used as toys by kids to lock and unlock them. Furthermore, the buckles are made of different colors, so you can teach your child how to differentiate between colors with the help of this backpack on a long, otherwise boring traveling journey!
Playing with buckles requires accurate and fine motor movements and this backpack has the ability to develop those skills in children. In my opinion, this is one of the best child carrier backpacks I have ever come across! It’s definitely something that will keep them busy during their long traveling journey.
The numbers and shapes of different colors are also printed on the backpack on its straps. These can help enhance the learning abilities of your toddler. When choosing the best travel backpack for kids, you need to make sure that the backpack seems interesting to your kids as well!
We think this is one of the best preschool backpacks that you’ll find for your toddler because it can actually help prepare them for preschool with the shapes, colors, and numbers on it.
The happy face printed on the front side of this backpack will never fail to enhance and uplift your child’s mood! Furthermore, it will help your child build an association with the backpack!
For me, this is not that big of a con because washing fabric bags isn’t that difficult! In fact, it’s easier to get stains off fabric bags because they can absorb the water and eliminate the material causing the stain!
Coming to the age group, this is a great child carrier backpack for a 4-year-old but can also be worn by children aged 3-7 owing to its compact size and interesting structure. It can serve as a kid’s hiking pack owing to its small size. It can also be used as a kids’ hydration backpack while hiking.
- It will enhance your toddler’s motor abilities
- You can teach your children about colors, numbers, and shapes using this bag
- Useful to keep kids busy and entertained on a long journey
- Has a small side pocket to keep valuables
- Contains adjustable back straps
- Interesting and colorful
- Can be used as a kids’ hydration backpack
- It is made up of fabric so washing it may be a bit challenging
- The size of the bag is relatively small, so only a few important belongings can be carried in it. It measures 11 inches by 8 inches.
- It doesn’t contain any easily accessible front compartment
5. ArcEnCiel Kid’s Backpack
This angry-looking travel backpack for kids is different from the other backpacks here. Personally, I really don’t like the design of the bag because kids’ backpacks are supposed to be interesting and fun, not dull and angry like this one.
The design is supposed to look like a robot, but to me, it looks like anything but a robot! Apart from the design, this toddler back carrier is great for storage purposes, especially on trips and long journeys.
The exterior of this children’s travel bag contains one water bottle compartment and another small zipped compartment which is great for storing small important belongings like keys of your kids’ lockers or your kids’ pocket money. It can even store small items like stationery.
I’ve had a very bad personal experience with food spills, which is why I always prefer backpacks that have separate food storage compartments!
- Contains a special front pocket, insulated in order to make carrying food easy
- Contains a separate water bottle pocket, that can serve to store kids’ hydration packs
- Contains many different compartments that are easily accessible
- Large size can store a lot of belongings. It measures 15.7 inches by 11.8 inches by 3.9 inches
- Many different compartments in the interior as well, making it a very organized toddler back carrier
- Can be carried on the back
- Shoulder straps are padded to make the straps comfortable
- Available in three different colors so your kids can choose the backpack color they like best
- It might get heavy because it can store a lot of items
- Cannot be dragged because there’s no wheel or handle
- The bag looks kind of angry
6. Yodo Zoo 3-Way Toddler Backpack with Wheels
This versatile backpack makes backpacking with kids a lot easier! This backpack can be used as a kids’ luggage bag, preschool backpack, as well as a child carrier backpack.
Of all the travel backpack brands, Yodo is a pretty famous brand, and its bags are characterized by the presence of name tags. The name tags in Yodo bags will help your kid find his bag in case it gets lost. For security purposes, it’s best to write down your number as well as your child’s name on the name tag!
This backpack is great for traveling because it can be converted to a trolley kids’ luggage bag on the airport or any other place where even ground is available, and then it can be converted to a backpack when your kid needs to carry it!
However, one disadvantage of this travel backpack for kids is that the retractable handle might hurt your child’s shoulders or back when they’re carrying it as a backpack. Personally, I’ve had a bad experience with such convertible trolley bags, but the dimensions of the one I had were different!
When searching for the best travel backpack for kids, you need to ensure that the backpack is interesting enough for the kids. This backpack has a shark-like appearance, which makes it a pretty popular children’s travel bag with the kids.
Water bottles and snacks should always be kept outside the main compartment so that they don’t spoil the items inside the main compartments if there’s any leakage. I’ve had very bad experiences with backpacks that didn’t contain separate water compartments. My little one forgot to close the cap of the water bottle tightly and then all his school books got wet and soggy!
Just like a typical bixbee backpack, this backpack for kids also has a lot of compartments!
If you’re looking for the best kids hiking backpack, then you should look elsewhere because this backpack is not suitable for use when going hiking with toddlers. It may imbalance your toddler or child.
- Can be carried as a handbag, backpack as well as a luggage bag
- Spacious, so it can contain all important belongings. It measures 9.5 inches by 4.5 inches by 14.5 inches.
- Interesting shark design for kids to play with
- Has two separate compartments on each side for carrying water bottles and other items
- Has a separate front compartment that is easily accessible
- Made of polyester so easy to wash and clean
- Can be easily converted into a trolley luggage toddler bag without the straps showing
- When converting from a trolley luggage bag to a backpack, the retractable handles may accidentally hurt your child
- It is a bit heavier to carry because of the added weight of the handle and the wheels
- Carrying this backpack on the back will be uncomfortable because the handles may hurt the back
7. Yodo Little Kids School Bag Pre-K Toddler Backpack
Yodo is one of the most popular travel backpack brands. Like other travel backpack brands, Yodo also has a special characteristic feature: that is, all of Yodo’s backpacks contain a name tag! We’ve already discussed the advantages of having a name tag earlier with Yodo’s other bag!
Hiking with toddlers is a pretty difficult task, especially because they need snacks and water every other minute! This compact travel backpack for kids by Yodo can also serve as a kid’s hydration backpack. It’s a great backpack for moms with toddlers because the backpack is easy to carry and won’t put a lot of weight or pressure on a toddler!
This backpack is comparable to the best osprey backpacks out there, because of its high quality. The reflective ridge on the backpack ensures that your kid can easily be seen when crossing the road during the dark. Furthermore, it makes finding your kid a lot easier in the dark and it may also seem fascinating to your kids!
It’s very important to get a backpack that your kids also love because that way, they take better care of their backpacks. This is something I’ve experienced myself too. Therefore, don’t forget to ask your kid for their opinion on a bag before purchasing it!
When it comes to travel backpack brands, another great thing about Yodo is that they usually provide warranties. In this case, they have a warranty for 180 days!
- It has a reflective surface ridge to ensure that kids can easily be identified in the dark
- Two small separate mesh compartments on each side of the bag for water bottles and other belongings
- Adjustable strap length
- The bag has a nametag on its bag so that it can easily be found if lost
- Interesting design for kids to play with
- An extra chest strap is attached to the shoulder straps so that the bag doesn’t slip and weight pressure on the shoulders is reduced
- It doesn’t have an easily accessible large compartment on the outside
- Cannot be dragged, has to be worn at all times
- The size of the backpack is relatively small when compared to other toddler back carriers. It measures 11 inches by 5.5 inches by 14.2 inches
8. DIOMO Women Kids Backpack for Girls Satchel Cartoon School Bag
This cat backpack is made of high-quality leather, which means it is water-resistant and won’t get stained easily. If you’re looking for the best toddler hiking backpack, then this one should definitely be considered because it’s a great travel backpack for kids.
The backpack is compact, making it easy to carry the backpack around. It’s available in white and pink as well, but I’d prefer the black one because white leather backpacks get stained pretty easily.
A huge disadvantage that this bag has is that it doesn’t contain any special side compartment for keeping a water bottle. Unlike a bixbee backpack that contains many different external compartments, this backpack is devoid of them!
In the best preschool backpacks, you can always find water compartments because kids have the tendency to leave bottle caps a bit open. In this case, water can leak into the surroundings if it’s kept inside the main compartment.
The length of the shoulder straps can be adjusted so that your child can carry it according to their convenience. However, there are no pads on the shoulders, which might make the shoulders hurt if the weight of the toddler back carrier exceeds a certain amount.
Furthermore, this children’s travel backpack has a very feminine look so it can only be used by a girl. Therefore, if you have a boy, you should consider the other toddler back carrier options on the list!
- Made up of high-quality leather material
- Front outer easily accessible compartment for storing snacks and lunchboxes
- The high-quality inner polyester material lining
- Has many inner compartments for efficient storage
- Interesting cat design for cat lovers
- The length of the shoulder straps is adjustable
- Available in two different colors, according to your kids’ preferences
- No separate water bottle compartment on the outside
- It’s a relatively feminine design so it’s suitable for girls only
- Dimensions are small so cannot store ample belongings. It measures 9.1 inches by 11.8 inches by 4.3 inches.
- Shoulder straps aren’t padded, even though the description says they are
9. CAMTOP School Backpack for Girls
Backpacking with toddlers and backpacking with kids is no easy task, but toddler travel bags make the whole journey a lot easier!
The cute pink unicorn-themed bag shown above is an excellent toddler travel bag, that can be used as a preschool backpack as well! The best thing about the bag is that it comes with a unicorn-themed lunch box holder as well as a unicorn-themed pencil case, that can store your child’s belongings easily.
When looking for the best travel backpack for kids, you need to ensure that the backpack is versatile so that it can be used for kids’ school as well! This is one example of a versatile travel bag with features like a separate water bottle compartment as well as a separate front pocket compartment.
The exterior of the bag is lined by polyester, which means it will not get stained easily and is easy to wash as well. Moreover, in case the bag falls into a water leak, the books, and other items inside the bag will stay safe from any kind of damage. Furthermore, the contents of the bag will also stay protected during the rainy season, which is very important because I’ve had to face rainy disasters with bags that were made of cloth.
- This backpack for kids is also made of very high quality, just like the backpacks of top travel backpack brands including Herschel kids’ backpacks.
- This backpack can also be used as a baby travel gear and used to store baby clothes and other items if you’re looking for a backpack for moms with toddlers.
- The shoulder straps of the backpack are adjustable in length and are padded to ensure your child’s comfort. The bag is extremely comfortable to wear and is lightweight as well.
However, this travel backpack is a feminine bag because it’s unicorn-themed and pink in color, so I doubt your young boys would be interested in purchasing this bag. It’s not a gender-neutral bag, so if you’re looking for a backpack for your young boy, you need to consider other options.
The interior of the bag contains many small separate compartments, which are pretty useful in organizing small storage items like calculators, smartphones and geometry boxes.
- The easily accessible compartment on the front
- A separate compartment on both the sides for carrying water bottles
- Comes with an insulated lunch box of the same design
- Comes with a pencil box of the same exterior design
- Many different compartments available inside for easy storage: including separate compartments for pens, calculators and other items
- Adjustable back strap
- Interesting and cute design for girls
- Spacious enough to carry important belongings. It measures 17 inches by 11.8 inches by 5.9 inches.
- The external is lined by polyester which means it’s water-resistant
- Padded shoulder straps
- It is only for girls, considering its feminine unique style
- Doesn’t have wheels so cannot function as a luggage bag
10. Elementary School Travel Bag for Girls and Boys
The design of this backpack is similar to other top travel backpack brands, including Herschel Kids’ backpacks and Bixbee backpacks.
The exterior of the bag is gender-neutral, which means your sons can also use this bag along with your daughters. The exterior of the bag is made of water-resistant polyester fabric, which means it won’t get stained easily and will also be relatively easy to wash.
Furthermore, if you’re looking for the best kids hiking backpack, then you should consider this as a choice because of its lightweight and numerous external easily accessible compartments. The external easily accessible compartments include two compartments on the side, which can be used to store water bottles or other small belongings.
Apart from the small water bottle compartments, there is another small compartment on the front side of this children’s travel bag that is easily accessible. This compartment can be used to store lunchboxes, snacks or small card games that come in handy while traveling.
The back of the backpack, as well as the shoulder straps, are padded to make the bag comfortable. When the back of the shoulder straps aren’t padded, the books and items inside the backpack can make your child’s shoulders and back hurt. Padding greatly reduces the pressure felt on the shoulders.
This article right here explains how heavy backpacks can take a toll on your child’s back and spine. Therefore, it’s important that your kids’ backpacks contain padded backs and straps to ease the load on their bodies.
The bag is pretty spacious and comes in two sizes, small and large. The size shown here is a small size. The large size has the same structure but on a slightly bigger scale.
- Contains separate water bottle compartment on both sides of the bag
- Contains one easily accessible compartment on the front of the bag
- Made of water-resistant polyester fabric
- Easy to wash
- Available in 3 different colors
- It is a gender-neutral bag
- The bag is pretty spacious. It measures 14.25 inches by 10.2 inches by 5.1 inches. A bigger version of this bag is also available, which measures 16.1 inches by 11.4 inches by 5.3 inches.
- The shoulder straps are padded, which means the bag is easy and comfortable to wear.
- Doesn’t contain a wheel so it cannot be dragged
- The design is plain and not as interesting as the other bags we’ve looked at yet
OUR PICK: Recommended Best Travel Backpack for Kids
Now that we’ve taken a look at the top best travel backpacks for kids, it’s time to reach the decision that we’ve all been waiting for – which backpack is the best of them all?
Well, I must say that the competition is very tough because almost all of the backpacks are amazing and have some sort of advantage over the other backpacks. After all, how amazing was the reflective ridge idea as well as the 3-in-1 bag, lunchbox and pencil case idea?
At this point, I just wish I could merge all the advantages of the backpacks into one single backpack for kids, but since that’s not possible, let’s just decide which is the best travel backpack for kids from the options we have!
Furthermore, the interior of the bag is also divided into a number of different compartments, making it easier to store items for trips, and other school uses.
This children’s travel bag will not only last your childhood but it will also accompany you during your teen years if you take care of it properly.
The bag is made of polyester, which means that it won’t be as easily affected by stains as a backpack made out of fabric would.
Additionally, this backpack for kids contains two outer small compartments that can hold a water bottle. You may think now that this feature isn’t really of a huge advantage because water bottles can be stored inside the bag too, but trust me, I’ve personally experienced the disastrous outcomes of that. Having an external water bottle compartment is very important!
Apart from the external water bottle compartments, the backpack also contains an easily accessible front pocket, which can be used to store toys and other items that you want to keep in reach while traveling.
However, this backpack is the best backpack for girls only because of its overall feminine appearance.
This backpack is made of waterproof material, which means that it will not get stained easily and it’s very easy to wash. You can use this backpack on hiking trips because of its lightweight and easy to carry as well.
The shoulder straps of this backpack are padded, which reduces the pressure on the shoulders of your child. in my opinion, this is the best kids’ hiking backpack because it’s lightweight and also contains two compartments where wattle bottles can be kept and are easily accessible.
Although this backpack does not contain an easily accessible front pocket, it contains a zip-secured pocket immediately inside, which is very secure and important items like your kids’ pocket money can be kept inside it.
Another bonus while getting this travel backpack for kids is that it is made of a very fun and interesting dinosaur design, so your kid is very likely to love this backpack. It’s an interesting and colorful backpack for children.
Related Article: Best Travel Backpack For Men
Best Travel Backpack for Kids – Buyer’s Guide
The two best travel backpacks for kids mentioned above were the editor’s picks. However, if those backpacks are not suitable for you, then we will help you choose a backpack with the help of this buyer’s guide.
First of all, when you’re purchasing a travel backpack for kids, you need to assess which backpack is appropriate for your child’s age. The backpack shouldn’t be too huge for your child, otherwise, your child’s shoulders will start hurting while carrying the backpack.
- Your child’s age is the most important determining factor – is the bag’s size compatible with your child’s age?
- Your child’s gender comes next. Does your child mind carry a pink or a blue backpack?
- Next, you need to check the facilities available in the choices of bags you have. Does it have compartments to store your items? Will the bag be able to properly store all the essentials you plan on storing in it?
- What’s your travel destination? If you’re going hiking, you need a lightweight travel backpack, whereas if you’re going to be on the flat ground at all times, you should consider getting the kids’ luggage bags.
- Is the fabric of the backpack suitable according to your needs?
- Does the bag you’ve chosen after answering these questions fall into your budget?
Ask yourself all these questions and you’ll finally know which backpack is the best for your kid!
Leave a Reply