Backpacks play an important role when you are on the go, which you don’t need me to tell you. It is also crucial to find the best backpacks for everyday carry that are designed specifically for this purpose.
There are so many options on the market that it’s hard to distinguish between them. Almost all of them promise the same things – like how the bag will hold everything and look good doing it.
However, how many actually deliver on their promises? The research has been done, and the results are in. To help you find the right option for you, I’m going to review 20 of the best everyday carry backpacks.
Price, style, activity, organization, and other factors depend on what is most important to you. While these are some of the best EDC backpacks out there, I also discuss their shortcomings so that you can make an informed decision.
Ready? Let’s go.
Top 3 Picks
- Manufacturer: 5HORI
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 12 x 18 inches
- Weight: 1 pounds
- Manufacturer: Samsonite Corporation
- Product Dimensions: 8.25 x 12.6 x 18.1 inches
- Weight: 3.09 pounds
- Manufacturer: oscaurt
- Product Dimensions: 11.02 x 4.92 x 16.93 inches
- Weight: 2.3 pounds
Top 20 Best Everyday Backpacks
Just go further down and read an in-depth review of each of the backpacks.
20 Best Everyday Carry Backpacks
1. Best Overall: Day Owl Backpack
I got this backpack for college because of its sustainability and all of the pockets it has! It perfectly holds all of my school supplies and 15.6” laptop. The recycled canvas makes the backpack very durable as well.Check Price
The cute and functional pack is streamlined and eco-friendly, so you can use it for almost anything! With a clean-cut style that blends well in any environment, the Day Owl backpack is an ideal everyday carry backpack with a minimalist appeal.
As well as being water and abrasion-resistant, it has five secret pockets, a laptop compartment, and a 21L capacity.
- It’s also an eco-friendly backpack with a luggage sleeve, a carry-on size, and a free lifetime repair warranty
- You won’t find a false bottom to protect your laptop from sudden drops
2. Best EDC Backpack For Work – AER Day Pack 2
Ultra-light packable daypack with 25-liter capacity and 2-way zipper for secure closure Roomy main compartment, 1 front zipper pocket, internal zippered pocket, and 2 mesh side pockets Adjustable breathable straps ensure a proper fit and comfortable all-day use Can be stuffed into its own zippered pocket for space-saving storage and compact portabilityCheck Price
The device is urbane, dependable, and highly organized, making it an excellent companion for both casual and professional settings. Whether you’re commuting to the office or running to meetings, this 14.8L bag will fit your needs.
An expandable water bottle pocket and an organizational pocket with slots for smaller items are included as well as a padded and suspended 16-inch laptop sleeve. Thanks to its durable 1680D Cordura ballistic nylon construction, YKK zippers, and Duraflex hardware, this bag is built to withstand years of heavy use.
- With an impressive lifetime warranty
- It also comes with padded straps
- It is only available in one color
3. Best EDC Backpack For The Minimalist: RAINS Field Bag
50% polyester, 50% polyrethane Fabric column pressure: 8000 mm H 45 cm x L 30 cm x W 12 cm / H 17.7 x W 11.8 x D 4.7 in One main compartment Inside padded laptop sleeve for 13” laptopCheck Price
Designed with a minimalist style, this everyday carry backpack is beautiful and functional. Featuring a stylish minimalist aesthetic and simple organization, the Rains Field Bag fits seamlessly into any environment, making it the best everyday carry backpack.
It’s made from woven polyester with a thick polyurethane coating for a matte finish and water resistance. There is a 16L compartment with a padded 13-inch laptop sleeve, plus a front pocket for smaller items such as keys, wallets, hand sanitizers, and Airpods.
- A laptop case might provide extra protection
- There is no air mesh to provide ventilation
4. Best EDC Backpack For Techies – Incase Icon Backpack
SPACIOUS, ORGANIZED STORAGE: Features three large dedicated compartments for your MacBook, iPad and iPhone, along with purposeful pockets for organizing extra accessories and other essentials. The internal laptop compartment stores up to a 15-inch MacBook.Check Price
For all your tech and daily essentials, this modern carry offers the best protection and optimal organization. The bag features a well-padded felt compartment for a 15-inch laptop and a separate compartment for a tablet so you don’t have to stack them together.
The soft faux fur and slightly suspended, padded bottom protects your expensive devices from bumps and scratches.
- With a power bank pocket, you can charge on the go with this 17L bag made of durable DWR 840D nylon
- The side pockets do not accommodate a single water bottle, and the colors are limited
5. Best EDC Backpack For Women: Knomo Beauchamp Backpack
Protects up to 10″ tablet and has multipurpose pockets Easily-adjustable straps Slim compact design Full grain leatherCheck Price
Keeping contents organized in your bag is easy with Knomo’s Beauchamp Backpack. You can tuck your tech, documents, and other work supplies in this 16.5-liter bag if you need a feminine and functional backpack. The bag is water-repellent, has a padded laptop compartment, and can be towed by your wheelie suitcase thanks to a luggage strap.
- The padded back and S-shaped straps make it comfortable and stylish to wear
- You’ll keep your belongings dry during some light rain, but it won’t do much in heavy downpours
6. Best EDC backpack For Men: Tom Bihn Brain
Dedicated, padded laptop compartment fits most laptops up to 17 inch , Usb port for on the go charging (personal cable and battery not included), Interior main compartment folders can be used for document organization or compressed and used for additional packing spaceCheck Price
You can rely on this spacious and sturdy backpack for everyday use. Every man should have a Tom Bihn Brain bag in his arsenal due to its quality and heavy-duty construction. Even your tech will be organized with this bag’s 36L capacity (two main compartments, four pockets, and nine O-rings).
- With a lifetime guarantee and a TSA-friendly laptop compartment, this bag is built with the finest materials
- Should you inadvertently drop the bag, your laptop will not be protected by a false bottom
7. Best EDC backpack For Kids: Herschel Heritage Youth Backpack
Additional front compartment with a key clip Internal media pocket with headphone port for added storage options. 17.75×11.75×5 15″ laptop sleeve Pebbled leather zipper pulls Internal media pocket with headphone portCheck Price
The product is well-made, practical, and, of course, kid-friendly. The Heritage Youth lineup is great for school-day organization, and everyday use, and comes in three sizes to fit different age groups. The bag has one main compartment with a padded 13″ laptop sleeve, a front pocket, and side pockets for storing water bottles.
- The straps and back are padded, there’s a removable sternum strap for support, and it comes in a variety of fun prints and colors
- There is no air mesh for ventilation on the back panel, although it is reasonably padded
8. Best EDC Backpack For Students: The North Face Recon
SPACIOUS DESIGN. A large main compartment is perfect for holding books and binders. Two external mesh water bottle pockets fit standard-size water bottles. TECH SPECS. Bag Dimensions: 13″ x 19″ x 6″ (33 cm x 48.26 cm x 15.24 cm). Laptop Sleeve Dimensions: 11″ x 17″ (17.94cm x 43.18cm). Volume: 29 L. Fabric: 600D, 50% recycled polyester.Check Price
Pack your laptop and everything else you need for class, outdoor adventures, or short trips in the North Face Recon backpack. With a 600D polyester material and a water-resistant exterior, the North Face Recon backpack helps shrug off daily abuse while remaining lightweight at 1.6 pounds. The only one.
The 30L bag offers three separate compartments, a dedicated 15″ laptop compartment, and multiple pockets for books, gadgets, water bottles, a change of clothes, and other essentials.
- Featuring a FlexVentTM suspension system and padded back panel, as well as a removable waist belt and sternum strap
- Its slanted bottom makes it fall over or slide down constantly when loaded or unloaded
9. Best EDC Backpack For Photographers: Peak Design Everyday Backpack
Peak Design Everyday Backpack Zip 15L Midnight, Carry-on Backpack with Laptop Sleeve (BEDBZ-15-MN-2)
PROTECTED LAPTOP SLEEVE: Holds 13″ laptops (see listing for exact measurements) and is accessed externally. FLEXIBLE CARRY OPTIONS: 2 hidden straps for carrying items on bag exterior. LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Weatherproof, 100% recycled nylon canvas shell is DWR impregnated, double PU-Coated and Bluesign certified.Check Price
Your camera, laptop, tablet, and other everyday gear will be protected with a sturdy tech bag. The Peak Design Everyday backpack is one of the best everyday carry backpacks if you want one that can double as a camera backpack.
With its specific design for carrying your camera and related photo gear, the Peak Design Everyday Pack provides the protection you need for your delicate devices.
You can adjust the laptop sleeve to fit any size computer – be it a 15-inch or a 13-inch – along with pockets for tablets and documents in addition to keeping your valuable camera and kit protected. 3 FlexFold dividers inside the bag keep gear organized, protected, and from bundling at the bottom.
- The fact that it is made of 100% recycled plastic, is water resistant, and comes with a lifetime warranty adds to its appeal
- A carry backpack is especially useful for people who frequently carry their cameras around, but not so much for casual users
10. Best EDC backpack For Gym: AER Fit Pack 2
The Fit Pack 2 stores your gym/work essentials without adding extra bulk. Stylish and functional, this versatile daypack goes with you to the office, gym and everywhere in between.Check Price
For those who commute between the office and the gym, the AER Fit Pack 2 is ideal. Keeping your office essentials separate from the gym and day-to-day use is perhaps the best thing about the AER Fit Pack.
Not to mention that a small bag can hold quite a bit, including sneakers, a 15.6″ laptop, an iPad, a few magazines, headphones, chargers, a change of clothes, etc. With its water-resistant exterior and AquaGuard YKK zippers, the Day Pack 2 is constructed from a variety of sturdy materials.
- A decently padded mesh back panel, as well as handy straps and sternum straps, make this light pack a snug fit against your back
- The zipper tracks are divided into four tracks with pulls that can easily interfere with one another
11. Best EDC Backpack For Travel: Tortuga Setout Laptop Backpack
PACKABLE – The Setout packs away into its own front pocket for easy storage in your luggage READY TO FLY – Slide the Setout under the seat of most airplanes and carry all of your snacks and in-flight essentialsCheck Price
Designed for the modern traveler, this pack is durable and comfortable. If you travel light and need a backpack with enough space for everyday use, the Tortuga Setout backpack is the one for you.
This bag has a clean design without distracting straps and is made from 900D polyester with a water-resistant coating and YKK zippers. There are a lot of features in this 25L one-bag travel solution: sternum strap & waist belt, padded back panel, and sternum strap protect your laptop.
- With its simple design and streamlined appearance, this backpack looks more like a backpack than a travel bag
- The front, laptop, and main compartments all have the same zips that are very close together, so it’s easy to open the wrong pocket by mistake
12. Best EDC Backpack For Outdoor adventures – Patagonia Black Hole
Sustainable 100% certified recycled rPET material Locking main compartment with RFID blocking slip pocket Front locking zippered pocket Perfectly sized for a phone Adjustable lock-down strap provides styling and fit optionsCheck Price
With its versatile style and outdoor functionality, the Black Hole backpack is perfect for daily use, travel, and outdoor activities. It’s no secret that Patagonia makes durable outdoor gear, and the sustainable Black Hole is no exception.
Bluesign® approved recycled body fabric, lining, and webbing make it water-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about the weather. The backpack also comes with a padded 15-inch laptop sleeve, padded shoulder straps, and an adjustable harness for a comfortable hike.
- A lifetime warranty and repair program make the Black Hole backpack one of the best everyday carry backpacks
- There is a steep price tag attached to this product
13. Most stylish EDC Backpack: ISM backpack
Slim Laptop Backpack: Easily accessible, well-organized and versatile, this lightweight backpack has a 2 section design with a padded compartment that fits most 15.6″ laptops Great for commuting or business travelCheck Price
ISM Backpack is a well-designed and stylish bag that can be used for EDC and much more. Designed from first-rate grain leather and water-resistant nylon with lovely leather trim details, this ISM backpack is a head-turner.
Backpacks with separate laptop compartments, AguaGuard YKK zippers, breathable back panels, and luggage sleeves are functional for daily use.
- It comes in two sizes (17.2L and 10.8L), has a discreet side flap so you can charge your electronics on the go, and is backed by a lifetime warranty
- The bag does not come with an external pocket for a water bottle
14. Most durable EDC Backpack – Goruck GR1 USA/ SLICK Huckberry Edition
Made of durable 1200D Poly with Rain Defender water repellent plus Duravax abrasion-resistant base Zippered exterior organization compartment for keys, pens and other small items; mesh side pockets Contour fit padded shoulder straps with daisy chains, and padded air mesh back panel Measures 12w x 18h x 11d inches; weighs 1.4 poundsCheck Price
It’s the kind of everyday carry backpack that can go on trips, in the city, and even in warzones. There’s no denying that this waterproof bag is built for the wild as well as for the city, made of military-grade 1000D Cordura with bombproof tactical DNA.
A bombproof laptop compartment is included as well as many pockets and MOLLE attachments. In addition, what else is there?
You can choose between a 21L or 26L version of the GR1, and there are two styles: a MOLLE edition with three rows on the bottom and sides for clipping and stashing, or an unobtrusive Huckberry edition.
- With smooth YKK zippers and Molle attachments, a rainproof exterior, and extra padding, it’s a high-quality US-made pack
- A lack of external pockets for water bottles and a high price make this model unattractive
15. Best Luxe EDC Backpack: Nomatic Travel Backpack
PRACTICALLY PERFECT: This messenger bag has a space for everything. With spaces for valuables, chargers, cords, tech, notebooks, and papers, you’ll never be digging in your bag to find your headphones CUSTOMIZABLE STORAGE: Whether you’re carrying your lunch or your camera lens, interchangeable panels adapt in seconds to meet your needs. Each Nomatic bag includes two customizable panels, allowing you to decide what and how to packCheck Price
A super stylish vibe meets high-quality construction, water-resistant exterior, and high-quality construction. Despite being expensive, I believe it’s well worth the investment since it’s one of the best backpacks for everyday use.
Water-resistant and equipped with YKK zippers, this sleek bag is perfect for protecting yourself from rain, coffee spills, thieves, and maybe even the apocalypse. There are 20 secured spots for everything you need, plus a laptop and tablet compartment that lays flat for TSA checkpoints.
- A magnetic water bottle pocket, luggage sleeve, and a lifetime warranty round out its amazing features
- There is only one color available for the NOMATIC Travel Pack
16. Best Budget EDC Backpack: Matein Mlassic Travel Backpack
One shoe compartment is crafted to bottom of school backpack carry on to keep the shoes seperately and everything else clean. This shoe storage is wide enough to hold size 10-12 for both lady shoes and man shoes which can also be used as toiletries bags and for other uses; There is two venting hole in shoe compartment, make it keep breathableCheck Price
A package that offers security, space, and style options at an affordable price. In addition to its multiple compartments and pockets, this highly rated 34L spacious bag is also available in 15-inch and 17-inch sizes. The bag comes with a well-padded tech compartment and a hidden pocket for a 15.6-inch laptop and tablet.
- There is a convenient luggage strap for attaching a suitcase, as well as a USB connector
- A bag of this price shouldn’t be expected to be waterproof, although it’s slightly water-resistant
17. Best Secured EDC Backpack: Oscaurt Anti-Theft Travel Backpack
Anti Theft Travel Backpack, Business School Bookbag with USB Charging Port for Men & Women Fit 15.6 Inches Laptop (C-Grey)
Less Stress, More Comfort: The adjustable shoulder straps, widened and well curved with padding, and EVA material at the back section of the laptop bagpack for back protection and breathability, can offer painless carrying for a few hoursCheck Price
All your belongings are secure and organized in the Oscaurt anti-theft backpack. To deter even the most determined thieves, the zippers on the back pocket, pockets, and main pocket are fully hidden.
This backpack features concealed pockets and a large number of pockets, plus water-repellent and breathable material to provide the best support for your back.
- A dedicated laptop compartment and a USB cable to connect to your power bank make it a great travel companion
- The rigid shape and limited storage are some red flags
18. Best Eco-friendly EDC Backpack: Fjallraven Re-Kanken
Fjallraven, Kanken, Re-Kanken Mini Recycled Backpack for Everyday Use, Heritage and Responsibility Since 1960
FUNCTIONAL: Long adjustable shoulder straps. Seat pad for back protection and impromptu picnics. Embroidered logo. ROOMY: 7 L of storage space for everything you need and some things you don’t. Measures 11.4″ (29 cm) x 7.9″ (20 cm) x 5.1″ (13 cm). Weighs 0.7 lb. HERITAGE: Durable, timeless, functional. Since 1960.Check Price
Designed for work, school, commutes, and everything in between, the Fjallraven Re-Kanken is an iconic piece. As a commitment to sustainability, the Re-Kanken backpack is made from polyester recycled from 11 used plastic bottles, with less water and energy consumption.
In addition to being durable and water-resistant, the polyester material used in the Re-Kanken is recyclable at the end of its lifespan.
- There are plenty of colorways to choose from in this everyday carry backpack, and it has a lifetime warranty
- Organizing and separating your items is difficult due to the lack of pockets and compartments in the bag
19. Best adventurous EDC for women: Osprey Fairview backpack
Stowaway backpanel, shoulder straps and hipbelt with zippered rear flap for protection Two front mesh waterbottle pocket Scratch-free pocket for sunglasses or devices Sport Type: Outdoor LifestyleCheck Price
Designed to be used for hiking and traveling, this pack is extremely comfortable. Pack as light as possible without the temptation of hauling excess weight with the sleek and compact 40L bag that fits a 15″ laptop, tablet, two water bottles, and sunglasses.
- Featuring a LightWire frame suspension and a comfortable waist strap, it transfers weight from your shoulders to your pelvis, so your back does not feel pressured
- Due to the bag’s curved front, the laptop pocket is not well positioned
20. Best Smart EDC Backpack: Nordace Siena Backpack
MEN/WOMEN/UNISEX: The Herschel Little America Backpack was made for everyone. Use it for your commute, the school week, a business trip, or a weekend adventure. 17L CAPACITY: 16” high and 10.75” wide. From your passport to your heavy textbooks, there’s plenty of space to fit everything you need for school, work or travel.Check Price
It’s secure, packed with features, and stylish too! Due to its minimalist style and numerous compartments, the Nordic Siena is versatile for work, school, or short getaways. Additionally, the six different color options will get you so many compliments – black, beige, blue, dark green, grey, and red.
- With a water-repellent fabric, USB charging port, padded laptop compartment, plush back panel, and luggage strap, you can haul your wheelie suitcase with ease
- There is not enough padding in the laptop compartment, particularly at the bottom, and the water pocket cannot accommodate larger bottles
So there you have it – 20 of the best everyday carry backpacks that cater to different tastes and preferences. It is my hope that this list will help you choose a bag that fits your needs.
I would love to hear your recommendations for the best everyday carry backpacks in the comments. Let me know if I missed any or if you agree with my picks.